Yorke Mid North Police are urging community members to lock and secure their e-bikes after a recent increase in thefts.
Police have released a list of advice designed to reduce the chances of becoming a victim of bike theft including:
- Engrave or mark your bike frame (near the serial number) with an ultraviolet (UV) pen, microdot or by other permanent means with your driver’s licence number prefixed by the letter ‘S’ for South Australia, e.g. S123456.
- Mark all your accessories, including helmet, lights, pump, saddle, etc.
- Take a photograph of your bike.
- Complete the Bike Passport and keep it in a safe place (these can be found at your local Police Station or head to www.police.sa.gov.au to download a copy)
- Purchase and fit a good quality bike lock. Your bike dealer may be able to assist you in choosing a lock.
- Always park and secure your bike in well-lit and populated areas.
- Always lock the bike frame and both wheels to a secure object.
- When securing your bike, remove equipment including helmet, lights, pump, etc.
- Never leave your bike unattended and unlocked, even for a short period of time.
- When at home, secure your bike in a locked shed or inside your house.
More info here.