Prescription Error Resulted in Port Augusta Baby Being Overdosed on Medication

November 9, 2023 1:12 am in by

In a distressing incident, a prescription error has resulted in a 20-month-old Port Augusta baby being severely overdosed on seizure medication.

The prescription label incorrectly displayed a dosage of 10 mL instead of the prescribed 1 mL.

The mother, initially administered the medication, raising concerns but believing in medical guidance.

Article continues after this ad

Despite multiple visits to the emergency department, the overdose went unnoticed until consulting with a neurologist.

The child survived with investigations ongoing to prevent future errors.

SA Health has said while the medication error did not occur in an SA Health facility, they are working closely with the family to better understand what occurred and will undertake full review of the care Donald received at the Port Augusta emergency department.