Queensland's bushfire threat has eased with authorities scrambling to get on the front foot before conditions worsen again later this week.
Four homes are confirmed lost in the latest fires along with about a dozen other structures.
Crews continue to fight three major fires including one still uncontained at Cobraball, southwest of Yeppoon in central Queensland, where three homes were lost.
The second major blaze is at Cooroibah, on the Sunshine Coast, where one home was destroyed. Residents forced to evacuate at the height of that fire have been allowed to return home.
The third major blaze is at Thornton in the Lockyer Valley, west of Brisbane. Thornton State School is closed on Monday.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services Assistant Commissioner Megan Stiffler says it's extremely lucky more homes have not been lost given the severity of the fires that have ravaged the state since last week.
But the danger is far from over, with westerly winds expected to pick up from Tuesday afternoon and into Wednesday.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says help is flowing to families who've lost homes.
"Our primary focus is making sure they are ok. We have done damage assessments now and there will be personal hardship money for those that have been impacted," she told the Seven Network.
"We appreciate that NSW has extreme, going into catastrophic conditions over the next couple days but in Queensland, we are holding up."
There are 47 fires still burning across the state with a state of fire emergency in force across 42 local government areas.
Heavy smoke haze blanketed communities in the southeast, from Brisbane south to the border, on Monday. It's slightly better on the Sunshine Coast despite fires there.
Health authorities have warned people with respiratory issues to stay indoors.
© AAP 2019