Latest News

At least nine homes lost in Vic bushfire

bigstock 140862503

Nine homes have been destroyed and several buildings damaged by an intense Victorian bushfire which is one of more than 40 blazes burning across the state.

Another house was damaged and up to 23 outbuildings razed by the Bunyip State Park bushfire, east of Melbourne, Victoria's Emergency Management Commissioner Andrew Crisp said on Tuesday.

"I really feel for that community as a whole ... in particular those people who have been contacted in relation to the loss of their home," Mr Crisp told reporters, adding that some evacuated residents might soon be permitted to visit their properties.

An emergency alert remains in place for an uncontrolled fire near Dargo, which could threaten the small township. Northeast of Melbourne at Licola, some residents are also on alert.

More than 40,000 hectares of land has been burned across the state by fires since Friday. Two homes were lost at the weekend in a fire at Yinnar South, further southeast of Melbourne.

While the work of firefighters has been commended by authorities and parts of the community, others have claimed not enough was done to save homes.

Rex Newton is frustrated Country Fire Authority crews did not help when fire bore down on his Tonimbuk home during weekend blazes that swept south east Victoria.

"There was trucks sitting 450 metres away from my place doing nothing. Not one thing. They came in yesterday putting out spot fires, which you could put out with a cup of tea," he told Nine's Today program on Tuesday.

But Emergency Services Minister Lisa Neville hit back at the criticism.

"I cannot believe how they (firefighters) would feel right now hearing that sort of criticism ... it must be a kick in the guts," she said.

Firefighters from all agencies had the government's 100 per cent support for their actions, she added.

The lack of recent back-burning has also been a sore point.

There were burn offs in the Bunyip state park during 2008, 2012 and 2016, the state government says.

Premier Daniel Andrews said the weekend fires were so fierce, previous backburns had little effect.

"There has been extensive backburning done around the Bunyip state forest where there were conditions that made it safe to do so," Mr Andrews said.

"The strength of the fires that we have seen in the last few days meant that that fire either went through or went over the fire breaks that had been built over the last couple of years."

Mr Crisp said planned burns were not the "panacea" to preventing future fires.

"Planned burns can do some work in terms of slowing down the spread and the severity, but it is not the ... cure-all," he said.

While fire conditions eased on Tuesday, authorities warned it will take days to contain the fires and weeks to extinguish them unless there's significant rain, but none is forecast.

© AAP 2019

Image: Bigstock