Port Pirie Regional Council’s Certificate of Merit for Outstanding Service was recently presented at the New Year’s Eve Party celebrations held at the Port Pirie Foreshore.
Individuals who have contributed significantly to Port Pirie and the region, while demonstrating a history of community involvement or having performed a single action of significance, are eligible to be awarded a Certificate of Merit.
Barry Hay, Monique Button, Kevin Connor, Sabina DeGioia and Meinwen Wade were the worthy award recipients for 2019.
- Barry Hay Barry has contributed to the Port Pirie Regional Hospital and health services in Port Pirie for the past 20 years as Chair of the Hospital Board and Presiding Member of the Health Advisory Council, volunteering many hours of his time over the years to help improve our health services. Barry has also been a successful business owner and was a board member for Regional Development Australia Yorke and Mid North.
- Monique Button Monique has served as a valuable member of the Wandearah Institute for the past 20 years, holding positions such as President, Vice President and Secretary, providing leadership and service to host community events and improve facilities. Monique’s contribution to the small district of Wandearah is testament to her kind and generous nature for her community.
- Kevin Connor Kevin was the proprietor of Meschke Funerals and was known for his thoughtful and caring treatment to the bereaved during that time. He has also served the Port Football Club as a premiership player, Hall of Fame member, Life Member, Vice President, committee member and supporter. Kevin has also provided service to the Port Pirie Golf Club and Port Pirie Bowling Club in many different roles and shows enthusiasm and a friendly attitude throughout all of his efforts.
- Sabina DeGioia Sabina was nominated for her unwavering dedication to the Savoy Soccer Club, with over 45 years of continuous service to the club. She has been the Chairperson of the Ladies Committee since 1974 and was recently awarded with the club’s Lifetime Achievement Award. Sabina has provided leadership and service in the club’s kitchen for many years, organising catering for functions and weekly dinners. Sabina continues to volunteer her time and energy to the club along with her family who are all keen supporters.
- Meinwen Wade Meinwen has served as a Meals on Wheels volunteer for the past 45 years, in roles such as delivery person, mains cook, sweets cook, assistant supervisor, Secretary and committee member. Meinwen was recently recognised for her amazing efforts and long service with an award presented by Governor Hieu Van Le in Adelaide.
- Image Source: Pixabay