Latest News

National News

Christmas lights blamed for Tas home fire

Faulty Christmas lights were to blame for a house fire in Tasmania which sent three residents running for their lives.

The front half of the home at Montello in the state's northwest went up in flames in the early hours of Thursday morning.

Two women and a man were found sheltering in the backyard of the badly destroyed property, which suffered $300,000 damage.

"The occupants of this property were lucky to escape," Tasmania Fire Service regional fire investigator Anthony Goss said.

"We believe the fire was caused by a failure of the small connection box on a Christmas lights set which has caused it to heat up and catch fire."

Mr Goss said the trio were altered to the fire by smoke alarms.

He's urged all home owners to check Christmas lights for damage.

© AAP 2017

You may also like...

Pirie police investigating two deliberately lit fires

Pirie police investigating two deliberately lit fires

Pire Police and fire crews are appealing for any information on two fires lit that were deliberately lit yesterday in Risdon Park South.Local Police...

Man treated after trying to put out a Port Augusta house fire

Man treated after trying to put out a Port Augusta house fire

A Port Augusta man has been treated for smoke inhalation after trying to run in and put a house fire out.At about 8.10 on Wednesday morning, a...

Guy still using 48 yo Christmas lights; reportedly has no time for a girlfriend

Guy still using 48 yo Christmas lights; reportedly has no time for a girlfriend

If you’ve got a Christmas tree, or even some small push you picked up off the road which you “Call” a Christmas tree...”Is that the...

Tas Labor vows to phase out pub pokies

Tas Labor vows to phase out pub pokies

Tasmania could become the second state in Australia without pokies at pubs and clubs, as Labor vows to curb the machines' "devastating effect on...