Latest News

Koch fumes at Watts video

Koch fumes at Watts video

PORT Adelaide president David Koch has blasted AFL star Jack Watts over his snorting video, calling it the height of stupidity.

While Koch would love to throw the book at Watts, he says the key position player has shown admirable changes in his attitude and behaviour over the past few months.

The AFL is also looking into Watts’s Oktoberfest video, which was made public through social media on Sunday.

It is understood the league’s most likely response is they support the Power if they decide to sanction Watts.

The Power utility has apologised for the incident at last year’s Oktoberfest, where he was filmed snorting white powder off a woman’s chest.

Watts and his manager are adamant the powder is a legal substance, used at the beer festival as a pick-me-up, and not cocaine.

“I’m absolutely ropeable. He knows I’m ropeable. (It was) just the height of stupidity,” Koch told 5AA.

“To put yourself in that position is utter stupidity and it was just simply brainless.

“No excuse.

“I feel a bit sorry that this has been thrown up, for him, but it’s just no excuse to put yourself in that position.

“It will always come back to bite you and he’s 27; he should know that.”

Koch said there are AFL and players association restrictions on how the Power can sanction Watts.

“I’d absolutely throw the book at him if I had my way. He knows that,” Koch said.

The Power president also said the video was filmed last October and Watts definitely had changed his ways since then.

“He has made a lot of behaviour changes over the last four or five months,” Koch said.

“This pre-season, he is a new person.

“Call me soft but if someone tries you do give them a chance.

“I’m a bit torn but that doesn’t mean I’m still not ropeable.”

Former Port captain Travis Boak agreed with his president and said Watts was making positive changes and he had the club’s backing.

Watts, the 2008 top draft pick, has faced widespread criticism and ridicule since the video became public.

AFL great Malcolm Blight has savaged the former Melbourne player’s on-field career, calling him possibly the league’s worst No.1 pick.

© AAP 2019